History of Cashiers United Methodist Church
In the late 1800’s, twenty five pastors were assigned as circuit riders in Western North Carolina which covered the Cashiers area. The Reverend Eugene Blake, who served from 1879-1880, was the first recorded pastor for this area. By the early 1900’s, a pastor was assigned to serve only Highlands and Cashiers with the parsonage located in Highlands. It was not until Paul W. Matthias came to Cashiers in 1965 that the church was served by a full time pastor.
Prior to the building of the first Methodist Church in Cashiers, the worship services were held in the Hampton Schoolhouse on General Wade Hampton’s property. This building was located in the area of the present Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd. When the Hampton Schoolhouse burned, the Methodists decided to build their own church rather than repair the existing structure.
The Trustees of the Methodist Church were granted a lot on July 28, 1884 where the first church was built and the present church now stands. In 1944, two small rooms were added for use as Sunday School rooms. On July 22, 1956, ground was broken and the Education Building was added. Worship services were held in the new building and plans for a new church were underway. Later, additional property was received from Alma C. Orr for the sum of $5. The old church was razed and on Sunday, October 16, 1960, the cornerstone was laid for the new church. The pastor was the Reverend John C. Vernon who held the first service on May 14, 1961.
The present worship areas and educational wing have served Cashiers United Methodist Church since 1961; and continue to be a community base for worship, local non-profit organizations, fellowship, service and care for the community.